Check out our new video to
learn more about OHKA

Tony the Healthy Homie
Part 2

Click here to donate to OHKA

About lead-based paint

Lead was used in paint to add color, improve the ability of the paint to hide the surface it covers, and to make it last longer. It was used both inside and outside of a home. In 1978 the federal government banned lead paint for use in homes. In general, the older your home, the more likely it has lead-based paint. Painted toys and furniture made before 1978 may also contain lead-based paint. Children are more vulnerable to being poisoned by lead through ingesting lead dust, eating paint chips or chewing on the surfaces of cribs, highchairs, windows, woodwork, walls, doors, or railings. Lead-based paint becomes dangerous when it chips, deteriorates and produces dust, or gets into the soil.

Note: Lead-based paint that is in good condition is usually not a hazard.


In 2004, Omaha was designated as the largest residential Superfund site in the country due to the presence of children with elevated blood lead levels. As a result ofthe Superfund designation, EPA has been replacing yard soil in approximately 14,000 residential properties in Omaha.

Read more

Ariana Tarifa on Radio Lobo

Ariana Tarifa from Omaha Healthy Kids Alliance with Sergio Robles from Radio LoboOur Ariana Tarifa was recently on Radio Lobo. Listen to her being interviewed by Sergio Robles. Also in the interview, our client Maria Martinez (not pictured) speaks about her experience working with OHKA.