Check out our new video to
learn more about OHKA
Tony the Healthy Homie
Lead was used in paint to add color, improve the ability of the paint to hide the surface it covers, and to make it last longer. It was used both inside and outside of a home. In 1978 the federal government banned lead paint for use in homes. In general, the older your home, the more likely it has lead-based paint. Painted toys and furniture made before 1978 may also contain lead-based paint. Children are more vulnerable to being poisoned by lead through ingesting lead dust, eating paint chips or chewing on the surfaces of cribs, highchairs, windows, woodwork, walls, doors, or railings. Lead-based paint becomes dangerous when it chips, deteriorates and produces dust, or gets into the soil.
Note: Lead-based paint that is in good condition is usually not a hazard.
Melvin Dortch will never again do laundry in the basement of his north Omaha home.
That’s more significant than it sounds. Having his washer and dryer on the first floor will be more convenient. But it also will be safer. Dortch, 74, has fallen down those stairs a couple of times, so hauling clothes up and down put him at risk.
Safety issues like stairs without a handrail, standing water that invited pests into his dwelling and an attic without insulation made Dortch eligible for a new program through Rebuilding Together Omaha, a nonprofit group that recruits people to repair houses for low-income homeowners….