MAY 22, 2013
About lead-based paint
Lead was used in paint to add color, improve the ability of the paint to hide the surface it covers, and to make it last longer. It was used both inside and outside of a home. In 1978 the federal government banned lead paint for use in homes. In general, the older your home, the more likely it has lead-based paint. Painted toys and furniture made before 1978 may also contain lead-based paint. Children are more vulnerable to being poisoned by lead through ingesting lead dust, eating paint chips or chewing on the surfaces of cribs, highchairs, windows, woodwork, walls, doors, or railings. Lead-based paint becomes dangerous when it chips, deteriorates and produces dust, or gets into the soil.
Note: Lead-based paint that is in good condition is usually not a hazard.