Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Mold grows naturally in warm, damp, humid conditions where there is little air movement. Mold produces spores that float through the air. Some molds produce toxins.
Here are some tips on how you can prevent mold in your home:
***To avoid exposure to harsh chemicals, it is possible for mold to be cleaned up with hot water and dish soap/detergent- advising a home owner to clean up their own mold issue if severe enough is not recommended, and a good referral for professional clean up should be made instead.